6 Health Insurance tips to help save time, cost and stress
Customers often ask us how they can use their health insurance more effectively or how to find an easier way to access the help they need. We know navigating health care and insurance can be confusing and are working to make it a little easier.
Read your Benefit Booklet
You should receive your benefit booklet by mail but you can also login to Blue Connect to read an online version. While this booklet is not a best seller like “Harry Potter,” it is important that you take time to review the booklet and understand your benefits. If you have, questions contact us using the number on the back of your insurance card or send a secure message in Blue Connect.
Sign Up For Blue Connect and download Blue Connect Mobile
Blue Connect and Blue Connect mobile give you the information you need in the palm of your hand. With Blue Connect, you can review your coverage and claims, download your insurance card, review account details, contact customer service and search for doctors, prescriptions, and compare costs.
Make sure your doctors are in your network
It is important to make sure you have a primary care doctor selected and that you set up annual checkups and other preventative care in advance. If you do not have a primary care doctor here are five tips to help you select one. To avoid additional charges make sure the doctor you’ve selected is in your network by using the Provider Search tool. Let this tool guide you if you are in need of a specialist.
Learn about your prescription coverage
If you are currently on medication or need some in the future, it is important to understand your prescription benefits which are explained in your benefits booklet. Here are a few great resources as well: How prescription benefits work, Find a drug or pharmacist, Five ways to save on prescription drug costs.
Understand your Explanation of Benefits
After a doctor visit or procedure, we mail out an Explanation of Benefits (EOB). This is not a bill. It lists the cost of services with and without insurance. An EOB explains what you pay (your out-of-pocket cost) and what Blue Cross NC pays. Review your EOB and contact us if you feel there are errors or if you have questions.
Reference these valuable tools and programs
- Blue 365 Deals – Exclusive discounts on the latest fitness gear and health programs
- Ask a Nurse – Health Line Blue is a 24/7 nurse line to ask questions or get assistance.
- Nutritional Counseling – Nutritional counseling with a registered dietitian
- Wellness Activities – Healthy conversations, seminars and virtual coaching
- Telemedicine – Using a phone, the internet or a mobile app doctors are available to treat a variety of medical conditions like allergies, fever, flu, insect bites, sore throats and urinary infections
- Healthy Outcomes Program –Track and measure health goals (Sign up in Blue Connect)
- HealthWise Knowledgebase – Our online health encyclopedia lets you look up a wide variety of symptoms, health conditions, medical tests, treatments and goals (Sign up in Blue Connect)
Understanding your insurance benefits will help you make the right decisions for you and your family. If you have questions about coverage or how to use your benefits, please contact Customer Service through Blue Connect or by using the number on the back of your insurance card. Please review your benefits or contact customer service to see if these benefits are available on your plan.
About James LaCorte
James LaCorte is a Social Media Manager and has been employed by Blue Cross North Carolina since 2003. He has built his career working in a variety of areas across the company. When not working you can find him kayaking a local river, photographing a nature scene, or running around with his family.